Tuesday, March 24, 2009

What's In A Name?

I am so lucky to be an aunt. Good thing my siblings and friends have had kids... because little children are the sweetest thing in the world to me.
I was thinking the other day of some of the ways my nephews/nieces have said and now say my name. You wouldn't think the name "Lori" would be that difficult...but it apparently is. And it has brought me lots of laughs. Here are a few I can remember offhand...
Orla
Loey
Roli
Yoey
Groli
...and the latest two versions that are happening right now (drum roll):
Glori and Nori
My youngest nephew, who is the independent age of 2, said to me the other day (he can be very polite), "Enqu, Nori"  (Translation: Thank you, Lori)
Honestly, these little children can melt my heart. Yes, I know it is not easy being a parent, but the role of being an aunt is pretty sweet at times. 
Oh, and since I am thinking of different ways to say my name...I must add an odd way of writing my name courtesy of a previous bank I had my money in at one time. They would send me paper statements in the mail and I probably belonged to this bank for at least 10 years so it isn't like they didn't have records on me. One time, and only one time because I called them afterwards and got it straightened out, I got my paper statement and the name on the front was "Lota" Sume. Okay.... The really funny thing about this, other than I felt like I was an oldtime cartoon character with that name change, is that a couple of friends still call me this after I told the story to a number of friends. It is kind of bizarre how much a bank could mess up my first name on my statement. I figure they were compensating for my last name. And that brings up another subject. 9 times out of 10, when I meet new people or start a new job and they see my name on paper, they think my name is pronounced "Sumie" and they also think I am Asian once in a while. Blond hair, blue eyes...hmmmm. Given that I have grown up with my name (which is Finnish by the way and I understand it is not a common name by any stretch), I have always known the proper way to pronounce it. The "e" making the sound long. So instead of "Sum", it is pronounced, "Soom". I guess what I get confused about is why people pronounce it like it has an "ie" on the end or a "y" on the end. Time and time again I suggest they remember a name like,"White". Do we say, "Whitey"? Well maybe some people do... That is okay. People mean well and I am sooooo used to it. I love my last name and at the rate I am going, I might always have it as my last name. Which is fine with me because, if a person can or should, I love my name and am proud of my heritage. So I will just carry on... (smile). I guess I should be glad that when Dad came to Canada from Finland, with his parents, that they changed our last name from Sumu to Sume...though I guess Sumu would have been easier to pronounce...though Sumu conjures up images of large overweight asian guys who get into a ring and knock each other out with their oversized abdomens...
FYI: My first name means "Winner" in scandinavian and my last name means "Little Fog". I am tagging all of you to figure out what your names mean. And just to reiiterate, I love my name and I have to say it is entertaining as I meet new people to see what comes out of their mouths.

6 comments:

Laura said...

So I looked up my name. Laura comes from the Latin for 'laurel," and is related to the laurel wreaths given to winners in competitions.Sumsion has no identified meaning, and Rawlins is a patronymic form of Raw.

I didn't like my name for years because of Little House on the Prairie. I couldn't stand Melissa Gilbert. I like it now though. And speaking of nicknames, my dad still calls me Lulu every once in a while, which is what my grandma (his mom) called me when I was a baby. Thank goodness that didn't last too long, eh, Lota?! :-)

Lori said...

haha, laura!

my nicknames were Lollipop and Butterball. oh great. didn't mind Lollipop though.

—Lota

Julie Baldwin said...

My name means soft-haired or youthful. I would like to think my hair is soft and I don't think I'll ever look as old as I really am. :)
Funny stuff about names. I still can't believe how many people asked when they found out we were going to name our baby Anna..."How are you going to spell it?" Seriously! How else would you spell it???? Oh, with a "u" on the end Annau?

Heather said...

Awww . . . I love all the variants on your name! I think "Orla" or "Glori" are my favorites! LOL. Kids are so adorable!

P.S. When I was in Central America, we made plane reservations on the phone and when I got the ticket it said, "HeadHer"! It was so awesome!

Lori said...

Okay, HeadHer cracks me up!!!! hope you are feeling well. so excited to meet your baby!!!!

Erin said...

My cute niece called me EE for a while until she could say Erin. I have to admit, I was sad when she changed it.

Erin means "from Ireland". I'm not put Patrick is... good thing I married him! :)