Monday, September 1, 2008

Fun facts about your heritage?

My father is from Turku, Finland. Through his line, one of our ancestors lived in a castle and at one time the ancestor's face was on some coins. My father and his parents moved to Vancouver when he was about 8 years old.
My mother is from Vancouver, B.C., Canada. Of where I was also born and raised. On my mother's side, her father was born on Prince Edward Island...and through his side of the family, a first cousin of LM Montgomery, of Anne of Green Gables fame, is our ancestor. Also on my mother's side, there was a long-ago ancestor who was one of George Washington's bodyguards. And my mom has ancestors who sailed on the first Mayflower ship. Just fun to have those facts in my background. 

So I am half finnish and canadian-born. I like that combo. Just because it makes me different. But then everyone has fascinating backgrounds...I think.  I truly don't get why I don't get moving on family history. In a lot of ways, it is so interesting to me. I am proud of my heritage. We just got a pep-talk on Sunday about it  and there is a new program coming out in about 5 or 6 months that will make it even easier to do family history...so for now I need to organize papers etc and figure out what has been done... 

2 comments:

Heather said...

Cool info about your heritage! Do you have any of the coins you talked about? I love how knowing the stories about ancestors really brings them to life to me. Fun stuff!

Lori said...

no coins. sadly. I do know that my grandmother Siiri Gabriella belonged to a really wealthy family in Finland but when she married my grandfather she was basically disowned. So much for any hope of any kind of an inheritance in my life. ;p