Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Enjoying Christmas







So...at the last minute I got to attend the yearly Christmas Concert at the LDS Conference Center in Salt Lake City. It is a yearly event and it is sometimes very hard to obtain tickets. The Mormon Tabernacle Choir and The Orchestra on Temple Square put this event on. I went with friends on Friday, December 12. It was wonderful. Yes, we were in the nosebleed section but it didn't matter. The true spirit of Christmas really fills my heart when I attend these concerts. I have been able to go the last 4 years. This year we had the soloist Brian Stokes Mitchell (the range on his voice is amazing!) and we had the actor Edward Hermann who was the narrator for a couple of parts. I know him well considering I am an avid fan of Gilmore Girls (a 7 year tv series and yes I saw every episode!). It is a quirky show and I love all the characters in it. Mr. Hermann narrated the story about my favorite Christmas song, "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day". The song was written by Longfellow and it is a sad story but a sweet one too. The choir and orchestra, of course, put on an amazing performance as always. I also took some photos of where we were sitting and some of the lights on Temple Square. Amazing how the lights are on every square inch of the trees. It is a magical fairyland of lights. You honestly just want to skip around...okay maybe not but I kind of wanted to. Not sure my iphone camera captured it all too well but it is the best I could do. I also love it when the temples are lit up at night. The Salt Lake Temple is so stunning. It was a nice night.

3 comments:

Christine said...

How pretty. We really need to take the kids up there to see the lights. We try every year, and sometimes it just doesn't happen. But it is so magical on Temple Square.

Heather said...

What a beautiful and amazing night! How lucky you got to go. Isn't this time of year just so fun? :-)

Erin said...

You are so, SO lucky! We tried to get tickets for that and they were GONE!! I love the MoTab Christmas Concert... it's the best!

The lights on Temple Square look amazing- so festive! I love it!

Merry Christmas!