Thursday, December 18, 2008

Free Shoplifting Lessons

So a friend of mine, Erin who I worked with at the temple at who is a fellow blogger, related a store about a glass from a restaurant that she mistakenly walked out with. Funny!

Then it reminded me of my little incident a week ago...
I have one of my brothers for christmas this year. He mentioned he could use a knit hat, gloves, and a scarf. Okay. Sounded pretty simple...
I heard that Old Navy might have just what I wanted to purchase...I drove over- in the snow and cold- and went inside to start my search. In one section of the mens' clothing i found some scarves but not much else. So I grabbed a long black smooth fleecy one. I had almost given up hope in finding a hat or gloves. In another section of the store the items were all there but not coordinating. Rude. Finally I saw some customer trying on a guy's hat and hope came back that I might find a matching hat and gloves. I went to the area and began looking. All of a sudden in my rush, I had no idea where I put that long black scarf I had been clutching. I even stopped to look a couple of times but figured it fell on a shelf in my haste.  I guess I was distracted with being a little aggravated spending so much time looking for what I needed which seemed like such a simple task.  So I finally found a couple of items that didn't coordinate but I just wanted to leave. I paid for my purchases and even talked to the cashier saying how I didn't really find what I was looking for and walked out. (So yes, just a side note-she had time to really notice me and what I was wearing which will make sense in a second.) Back to the story...I figured my brother could return them if he needed to. 
Just a few steps out of the store, I wondered why my left shoulder felt a little weighed down and bulky- So I kind of pulled at my jacket...Yes, on my shoulder of my black fleece coat was the scarf I had misplaced. I guess in my haste I had thrown it over my shoulder! Oh great! I had apparently become a shoplifter! I felt like a total doof!
I quickly walked back into the store and deposited the contraband on a display shelf and walked out again. Just odd that no one noticed me leaving with it or returning it either. They need to beef up security around there for us shoplifters!
I walked out kind of embarrassed. (And FYI, I went to Target a day or so later and found all matching and much better priced items for my brother and could actually add on a nice grey sweater for the same amount of money...so I ended up returning the Old Navy items...and that same cashier was there and remembered me...she apparently remembers faces but not that I was sneaking out a long black scarf on my shoulder!)
The only other time I have done something close to this was when I was going to BYU and I was at the bookstore and walked out with a pencil in my hand. I walked right back in and put it down on a shelf..but in that case I was always so used to walking around with a pencil in my hand that it was very natural to me.
So there you go...anyone need shoplifting lessons? Watch out though...I may take something from you...accidentally of course!

6 comments:

Erin said...

Ha... I feel your pain! That is too funny! I guess they are looking for people hiding stuff in their purse or coat- not those of us crazy enough to simply walk with the item in plain sight!

We are obviously amateurs-smile!

Tanya said...

I've done that at Wal-Mart before, unintentionally walked out with something I didn't pay for. Oops.

Lori said...

Yes i thought it was the funniest that she didn't notice the scarf hanging off my shoulder. the tag must not have been showing.

glad to be an amateur in that area!

Holly said...

Ha Ha! I accidentally shoplifted twice in one day. I didn't return them until another day however, because I didn't realize it until after I had both the kids in their car seats & it was snowing.

The Tregeagles said...

So glad the fuzz didn't catch up with you!

The Kammeyers said...

Wow, at least you have a great story to tell though. :) Hi Lori! (I stumbled across your blog through your facebook). Hope you don't mind if I add you to our link list! :)
~Lauren